Friends, food, and fireworks. That’s how my family traditionally celebrates America’s birthday each year. But, while it’s always nice to socialize at a barbecue, it’s easy to get distracted with mindless eating (read: hot dogs and potato salad). To help you navigate your next cookout, we put together three tips for staying on track with your weight loss goals.
Tip 1: Fill Up at Breakfast
To set yourself up for success, make sure you eat breakfast. Aim for a healthy meal that’s high in protein and contains healthy fats and plenty of fiber to help you stay full for longer. Steel–cut oatmeal with walnuts, avocado toast on whole-grain bread, and hard-boiled eggs with fresh fruit are all healthy breakfast ideas.
In a rush? Try this unicorn protein shake, a blend of strawberries, blueberries, spirulina powder, and Creamy French Vanilla IsaLean® Shake, to add some delicious magic to your morning.
Unicorn Protein Shake
- 2 scoops Creamy French Vanilla IsaLean Shake
- 1 tsp blue spirulina powder
- 3 oz blueberries
- 3 oz strawberries
- 8 fl oz water
- Desired amount of ice
- Blend 4 fl oz water, ice, 1 scoop IsaLean Shake, and blue spirulina powder.
- Pour mixture into the bottom of a glass jar.
- Blend 2 fl oz water, ice, 1/2 scoop IsaLean Shake, and blueberries.
- Layer blueberry mixture on top of blue spirulina mixture.
- Blend 2 fl oz water, ice, 1/2 scoop IsaLean Shake, and strawberries.
- Layer strawberry mixture on top of blueberry mixture.
Don’t have time to layer? Simply blend all the ingredients together, and enjoy!
Tip 2: Prepare a Healthy Dish
Whether you’re hosting a barbecue or heading out to a friend’s house, prepare a nutritious meal that you can serve to a crowd or bring with you. You’ll feel better knowing all the ingredients and will likely save some calories for a few bites of dessert … because balance is key!
Try this healthy jalapeño Greens hummus, a great appetizer or side dish that will surely be a crowd–pleaser.
Jalapeño Greens Hummus
- 16 oz chickpeas, washed and drained
- 1 scoop Isagenix Greens™
- 1 cup cilantro
- ½ cup Italian parsley
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 jalapeño, seeded
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- Juice from 2 limes
- ½ cup olive oil
- In a food processor, blend all ingredients until smooth.
- Serve with your favorite veggies, and enjoy!
Tip 3: Go Bunless
If you’re craving a barbecue staple like a hamburger, go for it, but skip the bun to avoid the extra carbohydrates. Instead, eat your burger with a knife and fork, or wrap it in lettuce for extra crunch!
Try this flavorful veggie burger bowl that’s less than 500 calories and loaded with protein.
Veggie Burger Bowl
- 1 cup reduced-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¾ cup cooked brown rice
- ½ cup cooked beets, chopped
- 3 tbsp rolled oats
- 3 tbsp onion, minced
- 1 large egg white
- 2 ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups salad greens
- ½ cup cherry tomato halves
- ½ cup cucumber, chopped
- ½ cup carrots, shredded
- In a mixing bowl, mash black beans. Add rice, beets, oats, onion, egg white, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper to the beans, and fold until all is combined. Form into 2 patties.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add patties to the skillet, cover, and let cook for 5 minutes on each side.
- Divide salad greens between 2 serving dishes, and top with an equal amount of the tomatoes, cucumber, and carrots. Serve the veggie burger over salad. Drizzle with a low-calorie dressing or vinegar, if desired.
Have a safe and happy Independence Day!